We have sorted down 5 trends which will be transforming technology and businesses this year. Most of them are already being put to use, so read about them, and start applying them to your business models to stay ahead.
Device – Human – App Conversations
This year will see the rise of new interfaces and higher need for synergy between devices, providing immersive and continuous experiences.
According to Gartner, Inc., “new input/output mechanisms will emerge using audio, video, touch, taste, smell and other sensory channels, such as radar, that extend beyond human senses.”.
Digital Journeys will span seamlessly across this myriad of devices taking advantage of what each of them provides. Experiences will become ever present, omnirelevant, as they flow through one’s day embedded into our context rather than being disruptive to them, leveraging and analyzing available data as it becomes available.
Finally, all of this data available from the existing channels and from new input sources as more become available will trigger a rise in deep learning and better understanding of users and how to enhances their interactions.
Digital Enterprise Transformation
To provide connected ubiquitous experiences, businesses must be ready with a suitable digital technology platform. This platform will be an interoperable set of services that can be brought together to create applications, apps and services and are a critical enabler of digital business.
Five major digital technology platform types to enable the new capabilities and business models of digital business, per Gartner, Inc.:
- Information system platform – Supports the back office, operations such as ERP, core systems, and associated middleware and development capabilities to deliver solutions.
- Customer experience platform – Contains the main customer-facing elements, such as customer and citizen portals, multichannel commerce, and customer apps.
- Analytics and intelligence platform – Contains information management and analytical capabilities. Data management programs and analytical applications fuel data-driven decision making, and algorithms automate discovery and action.
- IoT platform – Connects physical assets for monitoring, optimization, control and monetization. Capabilities include connectivity, analytics, and integration with core and operational technology systems.
- Business ecosystem platform – Supports the creation of, and connection to, external ecosystems, marketplaces and communities. API management, control and security are the main elements.
Deep Learning & Predictive Analytics
Systems can learn and change future behavior, leading to the creation of more intelligent devices and programs. The artificial intelligence market is estimated to grow from USD 419.7 million in 2014 to USD 5.05 billion by 2020, at a CAGR of 53.65% from 2015 to 2020. The global predictive analytics market to grow from USD 2.74 billion in 2015 to USD 9.20 billion by 2020, at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 27.4% during the forecast period.
- Autonomous cars will see remote diagnostics enabled by telematics to add profits to OEMs, suppliers and telematics service providers and ride sharing will inspire new mobility-as-a-service models.
- Large scale trials of an advanced smart transportation system based on swarms of modular self-driving vehicles that can join and detach with other modules on standard city roads like Next.
- Voice Assistance of similar models like Amazon Alexa and Siri, will be modulated and will incorporate new features such as more complex searches using sound. images or video as input. They will also leverage contextual information more, proactively providing content to the users based on time and location.
- New regulations will form to limit or prosper the human engagement quotient with intelligent things, wherever applicable.
- AirPods, is placing a first bet on a nonvisual connection to become useful as an interface to AI assistance. Here One are exploring the potential of augmenting reality through sound.
- GLOBAL VOICE RECOGNITION MARKET TO GROW AT A CAGR OF 9.40 % BY 2019
- Devices like Apple’s Homekit System or sensor-packed wearables and device of Bird, will be developed into all-in-one hybridised AI system, that can be controlled by touchless means when installed in any space.
- No intelligent things will hold their own but work as a team, communicating with complex signals to achieve a determined task.
Chatbots and Virtual Assistance:
- Software will move beyond running automated tasks as chatting or scheduling, and will provide intellectual opinions to businesses.
- Business bots will help entrepreneurs to make faster and precise decisions on new ventures and tweak existing business models by running complex analysis on data.
- Different bots or virtual assistance will be created focussing on specialization and purpose.
- Conversational bots will make more sense to humans as they will start to reason and empathise with them, as per the social context at a given time.
Precision Medicine and Drug Creation:
- Precision medicine will not only enable medical system to be faster in diagnosis of illness, but plan precise treatment path to curb diseases.
- Medical enterprises will spend on supercomputers to dig into data of dna and molecule structure and enhance genomics.
The rise of screen-less UX
- Reing and settlement of Micro-Interactions: UX design within the financial industry will be the key factor for customer touch points reinvention.
- The challenge will be how to connect fragmented experiences within one customer journey.
- When designing experiences Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality will come forward as game changers within the enterprise interactions.
- As Virtual Reality technology evolves and continues to be used in more environments than the entertainment industry it will adopt more natural gestures with similar meanings from the real world to help translate emotions and actions in the virtual space.
- More conversational and action-oriented notification systems will be innovated to help guide us through digital applications in the right way based on who we are and how we use them.
- Service design will continue to be used when thinking about touch-less experiences (such as Amazon Echo or Google Home). Voice and conversational UX will continue to surge.
- New platforms and tools are expected to be developed that will support designing touchless UX, and automate existing UX design systems.
- Pre-packaged UI design kits will continue their growth in popularity.
Virtual and Augemented Reality will expand to more senses
Virtual Reality will be one of the most invested in trends throughout the year. The launch of new hardware and mass availability of such is allows more companies to leverage the technology for their own purposes.
- Consumption of VR will increase by 450% from around 200,000 in 2014 to a projected 90 million in 2017.
- IDC predicts that worldwide revenues for the augmented reality and virtual reality (AR/VR) market will grow from $5.2 billion in 2016 to more than $162 billion in 2020.
- VR experiences will be expanded to involve more sensors, going from a visual and sound experience to include touch, smell – covering most of our senses. With the aid of hardware such as the Synethesia Suit, users will be fully transported to a new reality within seconds.
- VR will start ensuring positive results in therapies for both physical and mental illnesses.
- VR content will start taking more and more shelf space beside games, series, movies, and books on online markets, as its development costs lower.
- Live entertainment venues will see a shift in consumers behavior as these devices become widely used. New offerings for true immersive experiences, such as The Void, are already surfacing.
- VR theatres and arcades will help reach out to mass market and grow its popularity despite its price.
- Creating tension in a particular part of VR motion picture to attract attention of viewers there, is still on-going experiment.
- Websites and apps will have a different format in the VR world, adding that to the list of devices sites will adapt to.
- Magic Leap’s Digital Lightfield which projects 3D images directly onto the wearer’s eye to create uninhibited, 360-degree augmented reality, will put a new spin on the way we interact with our physical environment.
- Enterprises should look for targeted applications of VR and AR through 2020.
Automating testing to meet new demands
Testing will move from simple search of bugs to micro-combing of components in a product or service. It will evolve from pre-defined tasks to self learning and inquisitive quality check system using data.
- Digital transformation makes it challenging for quality assurance and control.
- QA will evolve to become intelligent through data analysis and determine test cases on its own and start testing from an early phase of application development.
- New tools of mobile and digital testing will emerge to check quality of seamless experiences. Agile and DevOps continue to grow in adoption.
- Challenge grows to drive efficiency and reduce cost of Test Environment Management.
- IoT testing faculty needs to be developed to reduce failures in connected reality era.
- Implementing Performance Engineering methodologies by taking a “shift-left” approach to address performance analysis & design aspects much earlier in the development process will be key focus.
- Test tool vendors will embrace and support open-source tools.
- Security testing is going to be of strategic importance in the age of IoT as organizations look to manage the digital attacks.
Explore how some companies are already applying these trends!
Gucci 4 Rooms
Gucci opened a pop-up art installation to showcase their latest collection through a deeply immersive experience that can even be explored online at http://gucci4rooms.gucci.com.
The Teleporter Adventures
The CommBank from Australia launched an educational storybook and virtual reality experience for parents and kids to enjoy together while teaching kids financial education through immersive storytelling. Learn more.
A home-security robot that was recently launched through indiegogo capable of not only monitoring the house but also taking voice commands, teaching lessons, offering news and other things. Find out more at http://www.robelf.com/.
A robot to manage your family’s health through voice and facial recognition. In addition to managing your medications and supplements, he answers your health questions, reorders your medications from your pharmacy, and even connects you directly with doctors. http://pillohealth.com/.
Champions of the Shengha
Champions of the Shengha is an emotionally responsive game that adds a new dimension to gameplay by bringing your emotional state directly into the experience. http://gucci4rooms.gucci.com.
IMAXShift Spinning Class
IMAXShift® is an immersive group cycling studio powered by The IMAX Experience® https://imaxshift.com/.
Boston Medical Center
The medical center started leveraging the predictive analytics provided by https://www.hospiq.com/ and managed optimize OR utilization.
Catxy is the augmented reality social network that enables people to catch friends and their moments around wherever they are. http://catxy.com/ will display content to the user based on their location, including photos taken by other users.
To see it online click on: http://trends.globant.com/
 World Economic Forum White Paper Digital Transformation of Industries: In collaboration with Accenture – Automotive Industry – January 2016